13 July 2011

MY FAVOURITES


Qingdao seemed to have all of the usual suspects on the menu- jiao zi, wonton soup, noodles, rice, bao zi, various stir fried vege etc so I wasn't too inspired to eat a great deal, it wasn't at all like Chengdu with the myriad of different snack foods.

Despite some bad memories (from overdoing in Shanghai) I did have one jiao zi meal as I figured they would be better than most, the seafood being so fresh but.... they tasted just like they do at the Grand Century so nothing to rave about there. (or perhaps jiao zi are just ruined forever for me now?)

Luckily, some other items did really take my fancy..


Various types of pancakes were also everywhere and could be found at all times of day, not just breakfast! This one in particular which I had almost everyday I was here was awesome. It takes a little longer to cook because the filling (julienned potato, carrot, peppers, shredded spinach, sprouts and rice vermicelli noodles) is also cooked within. What I liked most was that although the pancake was cooked on a hot plate, it was crunchy instead of the greasy mess you're normally given. So good...


 At the market, located conveniently just down the hill from my hostel there were these stalls, selling different stir fried dishes at 3RMB a plate. Kind of like the humble NZ food court but without the sweet and sour pork and crispy wontons! This meal was usually accompanied by a plain, steamed mantou, but I preferred this corn bread which I haven't seen anywhere else. Great place for a cheap eat and perfect for one!


No comments:

Post a Comment