1 November 2011

THE BASICS


In Taiwan, as people don't cook at home so much, the supermarket is not the big deal that I'm used too.

In terms of big chains, there is only one - Wellcome - which is also found Hong Kong. Although not quite as ubiquitous as the convenience stores (literally on every corner) it's not hard to find a branch near you. Normally found in basement floors, never very clean or exciting (makes me miss my dear dear Thorndon New World so much!) they do however have all the basics.

If I am in the mood for a more pleasant shopping experience or on the hunt for a specialty item e.g. quinoa, good olive oil, basil, real cheese! then CitySuper is the place to go. This chain offers a more boutique experience (and you pay a bit more for the privilege), the majority of the products are imported and they have organic produce etc. I like to come here and just look at everything. There are always a lot of Japanese and American goods catering to the large expat communities here. I have only found two branches of CitySuper so far (both quite nearby me!) but I'm sure there are a few more.


Sadly the fresh produce market is not really a thing here, so vegetables and fruit I buy either at the supermarket or at a fruit store that is conveniently on the way to school.

Slowly I'm building up a kitchen full of all the staples, and trying to be a bit more proactive about actually going to the supermarket (gosh I was lazy for a while) so I can cook at home.

It feels good.

Ha I can't believe I just wrote about supermarkets!

No comments:

Post a Comment